Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Leaf

I watched a leaf today,
one whose emerald virtue
had long since faded,
and left in its stead
a bronzed fellow,
fringed with gold
and freckled with vermilion-
I watched this leaf
intently
as it drifted slowly downward,
borne on Autumn’s gentle wind
And as I watched this solitary leaf,
while it was tossed and tussled about,
carried ever so gently through the air
until it perched precariously
on the edge of tomorrow,
I saw that it was very much alone.
and in my soul,
I’m sure I heard a solemn rhapsody,
a melancholy reverie...
loneliness is a dark hole,
and scarce are those
who e’er escape.

1 comment:

  1. For just a minute I thought this might be a happy poem :) LOL - why is the leaf lonely? Can't we all be carried? Aren't we all? Why the ache juxtaposed with gentleness? Where does the support go? We kind of leap from watching this leaf be bandied about by gentle winds and some kind of universal support to dark empty hole...we need something more to get us there...

    Just some thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete